David Tindle RA (Born 1932)
David Tindle studied at Coventry School of Art from 1945 to 1947. He taught at Hornsey College of Art and Byam Shaw School of Art from 1959 to 1974 and in 1972 was appointed visiting tutor at the Royal College of Art, where he remained until 1983. He went on to be made Ruskin Master of Drawing at Oxford University from 1985 to 1987.
Tindle’s first solo show was held in 1954 at the Piccadilly Gallery, London. Subsequent solo exhibitions were held throughout the UK and Europe including 57 Gallery, Edinburgh (1957), Metropole Gallery, Folkestone (1963 and 1965), Galleria Carbonesi, Bologna and Galleria Vinciana, Milan (1968) and Gallerie XX, Hamburg (1974, 1977, 1980 and 1985). He showed regularly with Fischer Fine Art from 1985 and with the Redfern Gallery from 1994. Retrospectives of his work were held at Coventry City Art Gallery (1957) and at the Northampton Art Gallery (1972).
Tindle’s work has also been included in many key group exhibitions including the International Biennale of Realistic Art, Bruges (1958), John Moore’s Liverpool Exhibition (1959 and 1961), British Painting ’74, at the Hayward Gallery, London (1974) and 25 Years of British Painting, at the Royal Academy of Arts (1977). More recently he was represented in New Acquisitions, at the National Portrait Gallery, London (1987), Portrait of the Artist, Tate Gallery, London (1989) and The Discerning Eye, at The Mall Galleries, London (1997).
Among Tindle’s commissions are portraits of Sir Dirk Bogarde (commissioned by the National Portrait Gallery in 1986) and Lord Sainsbury (1990). Further comissions include the stage design for Tchaikovshy’s opera Yolanta at the Aldeburgh Festival in 1988.
The winner of the Critic’s Prize in 1962, he is an academician (ARA 1973, RA 1979) and an honorary member of the Royal Birmingham Society of Artists. He has taught at Hornsey College of Art (1959-74) and the Royal College of Art (1972-83) and was elected Associate of the Royal College of Art in 1973, Fellow in 1981 and Honorary Fellow in 1984. In 1985, he became Ruskin Master and a Professional Fellow of St Edmund Hall, Oxford.